Plant Of The Month – February – The Dragon Tree
The Dragon Tree aka Dracena Marginata is one of the easiest indoor plants
to grow and maintain, they can get pretty big (6ft) so look fantastic, but they’re pretty slow growing.
The Dracena Marginata features on the NASA Clean Air Study and is listed as a plant that reduces Benzene, Formaldehyde, Xylene and Toluene in the air, so it’s a plant that works for its water!
It’s an easy plant to maintain and doesn’t need constant attention, it also recovers pretty well if given the correct conditions and care after a period of neglect, not that we’d ever neglect a plant!
Don’t be panicked if the leaves start to drop off from the bottom either, this is natural and how a yucca tree shreds its bottom leaves for new growth. You can remove them once you see them looking a bit tired.
- Keep it in relatively bright light, but not in direct sunlight.
- Never to allow them to sit in water.
- Keep them between 18ºC and 27ºC, never let them freeze.
- They love a loose, well-drained potting mix.
- If you’re going to fertilize do it lightly at the beginning of spring or twice a year with controlled-release fertilizer.